Tahribator vs the World


Welp. This has been the first MWO tournament that I truly enjoyed. I don't know about you guys, but the emphasis on the mediums and the resulting medium profileration considerably improved the game for me. Couple that with a lot of people ditching their pugstomp groups for solo-play and this weekend I experienced probably the craziest games I've seen in MWO. Most of the matches were incredibly close, with known faces racing to get kills and farm damage.

I've seen a team with no heavier than 65 ton mechs beat a team with 6 assaults. I've seen incredibly close games where my team of 3 players stripped of weapons resorted to shutting down in a Skirmish game, in order to win by overtime against an uncatchable Raven-3L. I've seen very creative builds, unlike other tournaments where small pulses and SRM2's where used to their potential. MWO is a beautifully balanced game when you actually give players incentive to try different things.

Me? I knew I'd go for Trebs as soon as I saw the announcement. I've pretty much perfected my jumpjet brawling technique with my Trebuchets, I wasn't expecting much resistance . . . and oh boy I was wrong. It was a very close race until the last point.

I started with my tested "That crazy flying Trebuchet" build, though I quickly realized it was really hard to get kills with it even though I could do tons of damage. I then swapped one of mediums with an LPL/PPC and ditching the SRM6, which proved to be more lethal but also unbearably hot. It was also at this point that I realized in order to win this tourney with a Treb, one has to farm damage since getting kills is really hard. I quickly swapped to very heat efficient 3xML+3xStreaks build with 300 Streak ammo. Which was incredibly bad at finishing off mechs, but it could farm a lot of damage with those streaks. I used this build up until the end with great effect.

When I hit 2000's I realized it was not about builds or skill anymore, but about getting lucky with the arty/airstrikes. I could consistently pull 600+ damage with lots of assists, but the real advancement came when I could land those perfect arty on a blob, propelling me easily to 900+. This is also when I stopped playing, since it wasn't about perfecting the playstyle anymore but grinding enough games to land that "perfect" arty with a game long enough to go through 300 Streak ammo.

When I stopped playing last evening CET, I was first, but I woke up to the 4th place. Which is fine. I played about 8 hours in total, which is also not excessive.

For further tournaments, I just wish they disable artillery/airstrike damage. It brings a huge random variable into play(as if dropping solo isn't random already).
Share on Google Plus

About Rak

I'm an engineer who likes to write extremely long articles about games that border simulation and mainstream.
    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment